The Challenge:

To read my way through the BBC’s Big Read list, in order from numbers 100 through to 1.


The Rules:
- I must read the books in the order that they were voted, starting from 100 to the number one nations favourite.
- I must finish all the books – even if I HATE IT.
- If I have read a book before, I must adhere to the order and read it again (depending on the book this both excites me and fills me with total dread).

14 November 2011

100. 'Midnight’s Children' by Salman Rushdie

I’m sure Salman Rushdie would be pleased to know that if I’m totally honest with you dear reader, when I think of him - which isn’t very often - I tend to think briefly of his odd cameo in Bridget Jones’ Diary and then move on. I know I know, a knighted, booker prize winning author should be known by me for far more than a cameo in a rom com. But there we have it.

Suffice to say I have never read a Salman Rushdie novel, so I can’t say I was overwhelmed at the prospect of reading one of his books, especially as the 100th book to kick start my little project. But then isn’t this exactly what the whole thing is about? To make me read things I would never usually pick up? And who knows I may even love it...maybe...

I have no idea what to expect with this one. Something droll, and heavy, and life searching, and ‘enlightening’, hmmmm… I’ll keep you posted.

______________________


So…just under a month after I picked it up, I have finally finished book number 100. The length of time it’s taken me to get through this is an immediate indicator of how I felt towards this book. I didn’t love it. But then again, neither did I hate it.

Midnight’s Children is a fictional biography of Saleem Sinai who is born at the stroke of midnight on the day of India’s independence. His life parallels and interweaves with India’s historical events, and in a rather hubristic way, his life even influences the events in the country’s history.

The first 20 pages were confusing - the narrative jumps from past to present with no warning and there are way too many characters in this novel to keep a track of. Sentences run on, often for pages at a time, which I won’t lie, caused me to loose track and loose interest, and the fantastical elements are not really my thing. But press on, and you fall into the rhythm of the book and its style and language, and I even found myself enjoying it at times! The writing style is really refreshing and the language can be really vivid. The problem I had was that rather than one overarching narrative, this book contains hundreds of stories featuring all the different characters involved in his life. Some I really enjoyed and made me unexpectedly laugh out loud, but others not so much. I never really felt engulfed and caught up in the novel, but always felt rather distanced. I wonder if I knew more about India’s history whether I would have enjoyed it more…

So, had I not presented myself with ‘The Challenge’ I would firstly probably never have picked up Midnight’s Children and secondly, if I had, I would not have read further than the first 20 pages. And I am glad I did. I cant say I’d read another of Rushdie’s novels in a hurry, but I can at least say that I’ve not only read the Booker of Bookers, but I even enjoyed it…well, at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment